Student International Travel
Visiting the world outside our country's borders can be an incredibly rewarding experience. Whether you intend to study abroad, begin an international internship, volunteer with the Peace Corps, or conduct research then UFIC can provide you with important information to make your journey the best it can be.
Online Travel Registration
All students traveling independently (not on an official study abroad program) outside the US must complete the online travel registration, This will enable us to provide assistance in the event of an emergency.
All students traveling abroad will have to be covered by adequate health insurance that meets UF requirements.
- Students with GatorGradCare insurance meet UF requirements and will not have to purchase additional insurance, but only complete the online travel registration. (Please note, that GatorGradCare does NOT cover you in your home country. If you go back home for research or any other academic activity, you will need to purchase CISI in addition to your existing insurance.)
- Students without GatorGradCare insurance will have to purchase CISI health insurance through the UFIC by submitting the CISI enrollment form. Cost is $32/month to be paid by check or cash. Please note that the online travel registration with UFIC is still required.
All students who participate in one of the many international trips through the Health Sciences, a UF College or Student Government are required to purchase CISI insurance through the UF International Center, unless they have GatorGradCare. The trip leader should submit the following to Linda Gritman or Yanping Cheng.
- One check made out to the University of Florida that covers all trip participants at $32/month per person.
- A completed enrollment spreadsheet. (Please add all participants to the spreadsheet and indicate whether or not they have GatorGradCare insurance).
- A complete itinerary of the proposed trip, including contact information onsite to be sent the following email.
IMPORTANT: All students and accompanying faculty will also have to complete the online travel registration.
The Department of State provides travel warnings for countries of potential unrest and danger around the world as well as information on travel regulations and recommendations. Please note that the University of Florida follows these recommendations and will generally not approve students to go to such countries to earn credit towards their degree. Petitions can be submitted to the UFIC Executive Director. Please contact Susanne Hill for more information. Students who want to study in Israel, please contact Lauren Strange.
Entry to Other Countries
For entry to another country, please consult the following web sites to verify whether a visa is required for entry: Foreign Consular Offices in the US and/or Foreign Embassies of Washington D.C. All students must secure documentation to permit entry to another country.
If traveling to Canada or Mexico, please contact those embassies well in advance to find out the requirements. You may also contact the U.S. embassy in Canada (list of embassies) or Mexico (list of embassies). If you are going to Canada or Mexico in regard to your U.S. visa you will need an appointment.
Foreign Students Traveling Abroad
Foreign students should check with the respective embassy in their home country since different requirements may apply to travel to another country. Foreign students must also ensure documentation permit to re-enter the U.S. F-1 international students, click here for re-entry requirements and J-1 international students and interns, click here.