Cuba Travel

Many restrictions on travel to Cuba have been lifted since the reestablishment of diplomatic relations with the United States.  Travel for a wide array of academic purposes—including research, conference participation, professional meetings and study abroad—is now authorized under a “General License” which requires no prior approval. Since the removal of Cuba from the US government’s list of “State sponsors of terrorism,” funds normally acceptable for travel to other countries may also be used for travel to Cuba.  

As with all official travel, UF faculty and staff must complete and submit a Travel Authorization request in advance. In addition, all faculty and staff must register their international travel through the online UFIC Travel Registry.  When registering for travel to Cuba, you will receive a notification that your travel registration is on hold, pending approval from the UFIC Dean.

For approval, all travelers must complete and submit the “UF Travel to Cuba: Acknowledgement of Compliance with Regulations” form before traveling. 

This step is necessary given that the US embargo on trade with Cuba remains in effect. This embargo restricts the items that you are permitted to take when traveling to Cuba. All UF travelers are responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with relevant regulations.

You may take the following approved items to Cuba without the need for special permission:

  • (1) laptops and mobile devices as long as they are standard-issue, commercially available devices that do not contain (a) any export controlled information, data, or software or (b) specialized encryption software;
  • (2) personal effects for your use (including clothes, toiletries, medical supplies, food).

Any UF traveler planning to take items beyond those normally allowed as enumerated above must consult and receive approval from the Division of Research Compliance before traveling.

  • There are many other items that you likely can take with you to Cuba under various license exceptions, or by securing a license.  For example, if you are going to Cuba for professional meetings or research, you generally can take items that you will need to complete your professional work. Taking such items to Cuba, however, requires you to either qualify for a license exception or to get a license from the Department of Commerce.  The Division of Research Compliance can help you in this process. 
  • Under no circumstance may you bring items to Cuba that qualify as defense articles controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).