Employment opportunities for international students are limited by regulations of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of State (DOS).

Employment is available only to students who are in good academic standing and maintain their non-immigrant status. With the exception of work on campus, F-1 students need approval from an international student adviser (ISA) or USCIS, depending on the circumstances, before they may accept employment. Students in J-1 status must have written authorization from an international student adviser before beginning employment. It is very important that you do not work without authorization. You may not be self-employed as an international student.

This section presents a brief introduction to the following situations, primarily as they apply to students in F-1 and J-1 status.

If you want to learn about employment visas, please click here.