Dependentds (F-2, J-2, etc.)

The University of Florida hosts over 5000 international students and their families. ISS is committed to ensuring the integration of international families into the life of the University of Florida and the city of Gainesville. We are here to assist you with making a smooth transition to American culture.

Immigration Information for Dependents

As a dependent, you may hold an F-2 status or a J-2 status. The requirements for each one of these statuses are different. For example, only J-2s may apply for an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) to obtain a Work Permit.
If you are interested in becoming an F-1/J-1 student, you have to follow certain rules and procedures for a change of status to F-1 or J-1 .

International Families in UF and in Gainesville

Another good source of information for new families in Gainesville and UF is the Family and Single Graduate Student Housing website. Our website can also help you to find helpful information about Gainesville and UF.
There is a group committed to helping international students and their families in our community. If you are interested to be part of this group, please feel free to visit their websites to learn more about them: International Friendship

Gator1 Card for Spouses

You can use your Gator1 Card for these services (a fee may be charged):

More links


There are many options in Gainesville where people learn and improve their English: