Cancellations & Refund Policy
UFIC Program Fee, Deposit, and Service Charge Refund Policies
All program fees, deposits, and service charges are non-refundable. Program fees include related expenses for the program. Alterations or deviations from the program itinerary (including excursions) will not be refunded.
Law students must check with the Law school for cancellation policies.
If you are using Financial Aid to pay for your Study Abroad program, please meet with Allison Costa email@example.com in Financial Aid to determine your aid amount BEFORE paying the deposit, service fee, or program fee. If you are relying on scholarships to pay for your program, please note that scholarships are not guaranteed, and you will not be eligible for a refund of your deposit payment.
Deposit/Service Charge Transfer
If you choose to withdraw from a program, the deposit / service charge cannot be refunded. However, you may be eligible to transfer the deposit/service fee to another program up to one year after the withdrawn term. Deposit/service fee transfer requests must be submitted in writing to your Study Abroad Advisor. at the time that you withdraw from a program. Deposit/serve fees are not transferrable without written notification. Please contact your Study Abroad Advisor to find out if you are eligible to transfer your deposit/service fee payment.
UFIC Cancellation Policies
In order for UFIC to cancel your application, you must notify your Study Abroad Advisor in writing; email notification is acceptable. Please note that we cannot process your cancellation if you notify solely your program director, academic advisor or professor. It is your responsibility to notify your Study Abroad Advisor in writing of your cancellation.
Students canceling or withdrawing within 60 days prior are liable for fees in accordance with the following schedule (We count the day UFIC receives the written notification as the date of cancelation) *:
46-60 days prior to the program's start date: 50% of program fee
31-45 days prior to the program's start date: 75% of program fee
0-30 days prior to the program's start date: 100% of program fee
*Students who are accepted by UFIC within 60 days of the program's start date will have one week from the date of UFIC's acceptance to withdraw without the aforementioned fee liability. After this one-week window, they will be held liable for fees in accordance with the schedule listed above.
Some programs have program-specific cancellation policies. Program-specific policies will always take precedence over the general cancellation policies outlined above.
No refund will be given if a student is dismissed for misconduct (violation of UF Student Conduct Code, host institution conduct code, host country laws, alcohol/drug abuse, etc.). All refund requests will be reviewed by the Executive Director for UFIC.
UF will not refund airfare or other costs incurred as a result of program changes, deviations from the program itinerary, or cancellations. Students should keep this in mind if purchasing non-refundable tickets and should consider purchasing cancellation insurance to reduce risk.
UF Program Cancellation/Modifications
The University of Florida International Center reserves the right to cancel a program before it has started. Under such circumstances program fees are refunded based on aforementioned refund policy. UFIC and associated host institutions reserve the right to make changes, modifications or substitutions to the program in cases of changes at host site locations or in the interest of the program and its participants.
Medical Withdrawal Policy
Medical documentation (Physician’s note) and written request must be submitted to the Director of Study Abroad, or the UF Study Abroad Advisor at UFIC.
UF Sponsored Programs
- Students (or immediate family members) experiencing illness or injury of such severity or duration that renders them unable to participate in a UF Sponsored Study Abroad program may be eligible for a medical withdrawal. A written request for medical withdrawal, accompanied by a physician’s note, must be submitted in writing to the Director of Study Abroad Services or the UF Study Abroad Advisor.
- For medical withdrawal before the program start date, or before the start of classes within the program dates, students may be eligible for a refund up to 100% of the UF in-state undergraduate tuition.
- For medical withdrawal after the start of the program, and/or after classes begin, students may be eligible for a refund up to 75% of the UF in-state undergraduate tuition.
- Refunds will not be issued for unrecoverable program costs paid on behalf of the student. This may include, but is not limited to, accommodations, group dinners, local transportation, organized excursions.
Refunds for medical withdrawals from exchange programs will be handled in accordance with UF policies. https://www.dso.ufl.edu/care/medical-withdrawal-process/. Service fees paid to UF Study Abroad Services for exchange programs may be refunded. A written request for medical withdrawal, accompanied by a physician’s note, must be submitted in writing to the Director of Study Abroad Services or the UF Study Abroad Advisor.
- Refunds for medical withdrawals from non-UF programs are at the discretion of the third-party program provider or host institution. Service fees paid to UFIC for non-UF programs may be refunded. A written request for medical withdrawal, accompanied by a physician’s note, must be submitted in writing to the Director of Study Abroad Services or the UF Study Abroad Advisor.
- Students with pre-existing medical conditions of such severity or duration that may result in interruption from their Study Abroad program are encouraged to seek medical clearance from their medical provider before committing to a Study Abroad program.
- Withdrawal from a course or program after the program has begun may have implications for financial aid and some scholarships. Please consult the UF financial aid Study Abroad Advisor, Allison Costa at AllisonCosta@ufl.edu for more information.
Early Departure from Program and/or Evacuation
Should program participants need to depart the program early or need to be evacuated from the program location for reasons such as U.S. State Department travel advisory, armed conflict, health problems, etc., the participant will be responsible for any additional travel and related costs that may be incurred. Any refund of program fees will be based on UF and UFIC refund policies.
Students on financial aid must adhere to all refund policies and deadlines as stated by the UF Financial Aid office. Participants who withdraw or cancel must submit to UFIC a signed hard copy of the Change in Program Status form. Verbal, e-mailed or faxed requests will not be accepted.