Getting to Gainesville
There are more than 50,000 students at the University of Florida, many of whom fly into the Gainesville Regional Airport. Airline reservations need to be made EARLY! Gainesville Regional Airport is located at 3400 NE 39th Avenue. When making reservations we suggest you fly all the way to Gainesville. (For example, a ticket to Miami or Atlanta without a connecting flight to Gainesville will leave you eight hours by car from Gainesville). Bus service to Gainesville is very limited. If possible, try to arrive on a weekday (Monday through Friday) because the University of Florida International Center (UFIC) and other University of Florida offices are closed on the weekends (Saturday and Sunday).
Gainesville has a semi-tropical climate, with hot summers and cool winters. During a normal winter the days are sunny and warm (60 ◦ to 70 ◦, Fahrenheit (F) or 16 ◦ to 21 ◦ Centigrade (C), nights are cool (30 ◦ to 50 ◦ F. or -1 ◦ to 10 ◦ C.) There are occasional freezing temperatures but it does not snow. A winter jacket is necessary. The summer days are hot (80 ◦ to 95 ◦ F or 27 ◦ to 35 ◦ C) with high humidity; brief rain showers are frequent.
Arriving in Gainesville
The Gainesville Regional Airport does not have direct international flights. You must get a connecting flight from a major city (Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, or Jacksonville) to the Gainesville Airport. It is 6 miles from the Gainesville airport to campus. Taxicabs are available at the airport. Allow at least $25 for cab fare and tips. For Gainesville Regional Airport information, call (352) 373-0249.
- From Jacksonville to Gainesville: http://www.southerncomforttransportation.com/jacksonvillefloridarates.php
- From Jacksonville, Orlando or Tampa: “AIRPORT SHUTTLE” (http://www.airportshuttles.com/gainesville.php and phone: 352-374-9696)
If you rent a car to drive to Gainesville, be sure to ask about the car return (drop-off) location in Gainesville. Each company has specific rental requirements .Contact the company for more information:
- Avis http://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/home/AvisHome or 1-800-831-2847. Gainesville drop-off located at the Paramount Resort and Gainesville Regional Airport.
You must be at least 21 years old, have your own credit card and a valid international driver's license.
- Budget Rent-a-Car www.budget.com 1-800-527-0700 Gainesville drop-off at Gainesville Regional Airport.
Minimum age is 21. You must have a credit card and a driver's license notarized in English.
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car- www.enterprise.com or 1-800-736-822. Gainesville drop-off located at the Gainesville Regional Airport and Holiday Inn University Center.
Minimum age is 21. You must have a credit card, an international driver's license and your home country license.
- Hertz- www.hertz.com or 1-800-654-3131. Gainesville drop-off at Gainesville Regional Airport and 3620 North Main Street HLE.
You must be at least 21 years old, have your own credit card and a valid driver's license from your country.
- National Car Rental- www.nationalcar.com or 1-800-227-7368. Gainesville drop-off at Gainesville Regional Airport.
You must be at least 21 years old .You must have a credit card, international driver's license and your passport.
Greyhound Bus Lines offers nationwide and city-to-city bus service. The Gainesville Greyhound bus station is located at 101 NE 23RD AVE, Gainesville, FL 32601. Ph: 352-376-5252 For fare information and reservations see www.greyhound.com
RedCoach is a new luxury bus service which covers some cities. http://redcoachusa.com/MegaBus https://www.megabus.com/ - This bus company covers some cities and stops at the RTS bus station in Gainesville. Tickets need to be purchased ahead of time
Regional Transit System (RTS) is the City of Gainesville's public transportation system. With your Gator 1 card, you can ride the RTS buses for free. Route and schedule information is available online at www.go-rts.com.
Amtrak Rail Lines, the nation's largest passenger train service, does not offer direct trains into Gainesville. The closest train station is in Palatka, approximately 45 miles from Gainesville. The train does not run every day. For reservation information visit www.amtrak.com or call 1-800-872-7245.