Non-Degree International Students
A “Non-degree seeking student” is an exchange visitor (J-1 visa) who will be sponsored by a UF faculty to engage in a prescribed course of study at the University of Florida.
Eligibility Requirements for a J-1 Non-Degree Student
- must have a UF faculty sponsor.
- must be substantially (2/3) funded by UF OR by his/her home government OR home university OR an international organization.
- ONLY under a UFIC approved cooperative agreement, any source including personal and/or family funds may be used as proof of funds.
on how to establish a cooperative agreement, please visit the International Agreements section on the UFIC website).
- Tuition will be paid at the current non-resident tuition rate.
- must register for at least one credit hour at the non-resident tuition rate, per semester or partial semester at the undergraduate or graduate level, as appropriate (e.g., 4950 or 6905). Please note: One credit minimum is required regardless of your home institution’s credit transfer requirements.
- The duration of the program can be no more than 24 months.
- A minimum of $1,500/month of financial support is required for the length of the program. The participant must show an additional $500.00/month for a spouse and $250/month for each child (if planning to bring dependents in J-2 status.
- The host department must completely fill out the J-1 Non-Degree Request Form with the required signatures.
- All J visa holders are now required to demonstrate sufficient English proficiency to successfully participate in the proposed cultural exchange program as well as navigate inside the U.S. The J-1 Non-Degree Student English Verification Form details acceptable forms of documentation for English proficiency.
- UFIC will contact the participant to request the following forms, once the Academic Department has approved his/her invitation:
- Non-Degree Student Form
- Proof of Financial Support and Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR)
- UF Non-Degree Registration Request. This process creates the student’s UF academic record as well as generates a UFID number which will be provided to the student.
- Student and Department must notify the International Center if the student cannot arrive at UF by the begin date on their DS-2019.
- Student must pay the SEVIS fee (I-901) prior to their visa appointment.
- Student and dependents may enter the US up to thirty days before program begins.
- Student and dependents may stay in the US up to thirty days after program ends.
- Student MUST check-in with UFIC, 170 HUB, once they arrive at the University of Florida. Hours of operation are from 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- Student must bring the following documents to check-in: passport with valid visa, and original DS-2019.
- Health/accident insurance coverage is mandatory for all J-1 exchange visitors and their dependents at all times while they are in the U.S. This is a regulation of the U.S. Department of State and a requirement of the University of Florida.
- Proof of immunization requirements must be satisfied. For more information, click here.